Now if you haven’t heard about Wow Fabrics before where have you been?!! It’s a fabulous family run company that can print any type of print you’d like into 13 different fabric options!! But here is a little bit of info about them:
The fabric company with the ‘WOW’ factor. Based in the heart of the UK, and with an international reach, and using our in house state of the art digital printers a process known as ‘sublimation’, we’re able to offer high quality bespoke printed fabric for all of your fashion needs.
Wow Fabrics has over 50 years combined experience in creating bespoke printed fabrics and textiles, producing items for worldwide licensed brands such as Star Wars, Disney/Pixar’s Toy Story, Pokemon and World of Warcrafts., in addition to working with small and startup businesses.
With competitive prices, extremely fast turnaround times, no minimum order quantity and extensive knowledge around placement printing and products, and a strict quality control in place, we’ll help to give your creations the ‘Wow’ factor.
Also there is many different fabric options to use so at long last no print is just set for one type of fabric!!! Yay!
Now I couldn’t resist this beautiful watercolour floral print as it is just stunning, I ordered mine on the spun polyester base it’s a thin jersey.
Fabulous timing too as Nina Lee Patterns were looking for Sewists to pattern test 3 of her patterns Southbank Sweater, the Carnaby Dress and the Mayfair Dress in the new size range extends from UK 16–28 and the PDFs for this range will be entirely separate products ; the overlap of 3 sizes with the original range (6–20) is to hopefully help any customers who need to grade across sizes. I was luckily enough to be picked for the Mayfair!
With this fabric being a wide width i was able to get the dress cut out with some scraps that i can hope to turn into some knickers at some point.
Is anyone else like me and want to use their sewing accessories at any opportunity? Love using my Pattern ruler for cutting out straight lines with my rotary cutter than using my frixion pen for marking.
So on I went with sewing the Mayfair together! With my Sewing Assistant wanting to get in the way!
Now when it came to Step 5 of sewing the collar facing just imagine once big burrito!, that’s where i had a total brain fart moment it took me a few attempts at getting this right but once i figured it out it did came clear but Nina will be adding a video tutorial to her website and link to it in the instructions.
Would you believe that the belt was 3 pieces and its super long… don’t get me wrong i love a belt but when out have to turn it the right way out, that’s where it gets time consuming! So instead of sewing one end, i left both ends open and slip stitched the ends shut for ease of turning.
Think you all know me by know that i need to shorten the sleeves on any garment i make so i hemmed by sleeve by 4cm rather than 1cm and with the Dress itself i used a double hem by 4cm in total rather 3cm and then used my twin needle to hem both.
I find threading my twin needle tails to the underside of my garment then knotting them quite therapeutic for some reason.
And here is my Mayfair! Made in Size 16 for Bust and graded to 18 for waist and 20 for hips. Its a nice classy dress which is definitely coming with me when we go away to Amsterdam Minicruise!